Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cheapskate Challenge: Pantry Cleanout

Thanks to everyone who participated in last week's cheapskate challenge. And thanks to those who shared your thoughts and experiences via the comments on this blog. We can all learn and gain inspiration from each other's journey toward becoming a better than ever Cheapskate. Even though I may have created this blog, I am by no means an expert on the subject. But I've picked up a few things along the way and am learning more now as I go. This blog and these challenges in particular have made me more focused than ever and brought so many insights in the last couple of weeks. I never thought I could grow this fast!

I am quite surprised with myself that I was able to go the whole entire week without eating out one single time. I can't remember the last time I did that. Have I ever? But I am truly less excited about the fact that I saved a few bucks by not eating out than I am about the new insights I gained into my own spending habits by taking on the challenge. I found out what types of things triggered me toward eating out and discovered new ideas to overcome those impulses. It was great! Whether you "succeeded" or "failed" the fact that you chose to take on the challenge is a win as the process of even just thinking about it on a daily basis has made you one step closer toward achieving your financial goals. So congratulations fellow Cheapskates!

This week's challenge is called "Pantry Clean Out." Do you want to know a really good tip for to dramatically reducing your grocery bill? Eat the food that is already in your cupboards, fridge, and freezer. It will not cost you anything since you have already paid for it. Since I am so passionate about cooking and trying new things, I am always stocking my fridge and cupboard with new specialty items. It's great because I have a fantastic pantry and more varieties of vinegar than days of the week, but I am also usually on such a quest to try new things that I am insanely guilty of letting leftovers and overstocked items go to waste.

This weeks challenge is to make the most out of what you already have and not let things go to waste. I challenge you to use at least one item a day from your existing pantry. I am even going to throw in a special bonus that if you succeed in the challenge and if at least one of the items has been in your cupboard for three or more months, then I will send you a mystery item in the mail from my own pantry along with a hand written note. The challenge ends one week from today on Saturday, April 11th and the offer is good to the first five people to respond via comments to this link that they successfully completed the challenge on or after April 11th. Good luck to all. Have fun and be creative. Oh and special recognition goes to anyone who uses up an item that has been in their pantry for more than 6 months!

1 comment:

CV said...

I have a recipe planned already for a pasta dish with pasta that we bought in Cambria 5 months ago. Guess I'd better find something to use that Rosemary Olive Oil in too! :)